The Climate Knowledge Brokers (CKB) Group is an emerging alliance of leading global, regional and national knowledge brokers specialising in climate and development information. It brings together a diverse set of information players, from international organisations to research institutes, NGOs and good practice networks, and covers the full breadth of climate related themes. The focus is on primarily online initiatives, and those that play an explicit knowledge brokerage role, rather than being simply institutional websites.
Its goal is to improve access to climate information by coordinating and orchestrating the efforts of climate knowledge brokers. It works by:
- Developing common tools: so climate data can be searched and shared efficiently, and users can identify quickly which websites and content is most relevant for them.
- Initiating joint projects: to connect up different websites, test out innovations and generate new thinking on how to best meet user needs.
- Supporting peer learning: providing opportunities for knowledge brokers to meet each other face-to-face, share the challenges they are facing, and compare experience of which approaches work best.
- Building capacity: offering hands-on advice to new initiatives being set up, so they can benefit from the wealth of experience within the group.
- Providing leadership: creating a focal point and a voice for the community as a whole, so the vital role of climate knowledge brokers is understood and championed.